Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Something I Didnt Know & Now Do: the Edgar Winter Group STINKS

Ill be honest. Ive got almost NO prog rock chops. I always assumed my sincere lack of interest was b/c im completely superficial- boys who liked prog rock bands weren't cute, and if they were, they werent cute enough for me to feign interest in their boring mathbands. To me, prog rock will always evoke images of Rush, split ends and light blue stone washed jeans. Not a cute look. Even when the better looking kids decided that it was "the thing to be into" I STILL didnt like it. Besides, prog rock has like zero balls. The outfits are ugly, there is NO sex appeal to any of the songs- honestly, Id rather listen to a hearing test for an hour.

Perhaps I just "dont get it".

And its not for lack of trying. Ive listened to King Crimson, own records by the Incredible String Band, and am fully familiar with that shit band Kraan. I've EVEN suffered through a Bill Bruford concert where he teased me from the stage (in good humor, nice man). One band though, I remained blissfully ignorant of. The Edgar Winter Group.

edgr

Why? Because I was afraid I may actually have to "eat it" so to speak- in other words, I was afraid i might like them. Like what happened with that band Ride. It doesnt take much for me to admit im incorrect, but accepting certain things (like an affinity for prog rock) are so internally disruptive you just have to take your time exploring it, and guard against the upheaval. Besides, they have a pretty vast collection of music. Odds are, Id like SOMETHING. Even just a little.

The good news is I was, THOROUGHLY disappointed in their music. Sloppy mess. Almost encompasses everything I dislike about prog rock, except his hair is straight and seems healthy. HOWEVER. The Group itself? HOT MESS.

Here's some EWG interestingness:

1. Dan Hartman was in that band. As in "instant replay".
2. Edgar worked on David Lee Roth's "Crazy From the Heat".
3 Edgar winter made a disco record.
4. In 2006, Winter joined Hamish Stuart, Rod Argent, Richard Marx, Billy Squier, and Sheila E touring with Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band. (WOW IS THAT HORRIBLE and id PAY to see it)
5. Edgar Winter is a hXc scientologist. (read: idiot)
6. That record cover that is so freaky is actually what he looks like. Which i find interesting.
7. He continues to thrill audiences with his live performances, always remaining on the cutting edge of music and style. Edgar is now at the very top of his game, and his future looks even brighter than his past. (his words, NOT MINE)
8. Frankenstein is probably one of the worst songs I ever heard and as usual most people disagree with my assessment.(My words)

I dunno, he seems to me like the Poor Man's Alice Cooper.

thank god.