Saturday, July 12, 2008

Nancy & Lee vs Dolly: Down From Dover

JESUS. What a depressing song! I listened to the Nancy version first, and was like, um...Lee sounds like he needs a cough drop.
THEN i heard dolly's version, and I actually started crying. I think this may rank up there with "death be not proud" (the book) the Plague and that song by Elton John where its a guy dying of aids* talking to his dad as far as the most upsetting artistic creations on the planet.

"And dying was her way of telling me he wont be coming back from dover....". The baby dies. THE BABY DIES OF SADNESS. The little bastard child dies of sadness b/c her dad is a fuckup. I need me a hanky. Really. No hyperbole here.

This song is the ultimate birth control. Play it to those horny high school kids- they will be too depressed to even want to have sex ever again.

Dolly's version:


Nancy & Lee's slightly more upbeat version.


Dolly Wins. By a long shot.

* heres the video from EJ that I mentioned earlier, in case you are a masochist.Bonus! Its from And the Band Played On I made it to 1:25 before i started crying. A personal best, considering I've seen this movie, video etc at least twenty times. ATBPO is, without a doubt, one of THE MOST DEPRESSING MOVIES in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE. I watched it once with a group of five rather manly male friends, and each one of us was SOBBING by the end of that movie. One quite uncontrollably. No one spoke for a good ten minutes after it was over. Then we all got disgustingly drunk and someone threw up in our sink.

Here's a MAD Tv sketch re: elton john's funeral songs. Me needs levity.