Monday, December 22, 2008

Disco Date!



Sorry for the big ol bummer photo. I just automatically think of this awning when i hear this music.

Anydepressed, here is some good old house music for an icy snowy monday with only 2 days to go till xmas and no more days to go till hanukah!



MAW; Hardrive; ORS; kings of tomorrow, etc etc....oh and grace jones.

Some trivia too: Shari Vari is actually named after the store Charivari in NYC. I dont think it exists anymore, but my uncle used to take me there when i was a kid b/c he could afford things there and it was near this robot store he'd take me to. My uncle would preen and prep to go shopping at CHV- like a show pony (does my hat look ok? is this tie on straight?). I remember being disgusted at how much the clothing cost. Lots of heavy lines and like embroidered jackets with shoulder pads, and no robots for me. They did have a nice leather couch tho.

Well, the song SHV is Detroit's musings about the clientelle of that store; American Gigolo etc. and all his fancy clothes (yes, the movie and the people). Apparently AG was quite an influence on the detroit scene- something i didnt know until i read it yesterday in an old book.

Heres the reality (and wasnt in the book): the vast majority of the CHVs male clientelle was gay. I'd say close to 100%. Even as an 11 year old i knew that. It was really really obvious. Like Barneys Co Op obvious.

Guess no one told detroit.