Monday, September 29, 2008

Why the 86 Mets are the only Mets worth caring about

Oh who cares about Shea going the way of the cassette tape. Lets be honest: the mets & shea stadium havent been worth caring about since 1986. They were so "yin and yang"...great and totally horrible at the same time.

Get Metsmerized! And possibly traumatized!

at about .42 i start making up my own lyrics. Except when that talented man introduces Len Dykstra. And then by Tito Santana i cant even breathe b/c i busted a lung laughing.

chocolate strawberry: Because i had to.


Sigh, i have so many fond memories of the 86 mets- and a really cool Rodney Dangerfield pin of him in the uniform from 86 saying "No Respect!". This was the year my uncle got some magic hook up that allowed me and family to go to many many games at Shea and enjoy some sort of fun perks. This was, actually, the only year i even went to games: and it was a good year to go to say the least. No one in my (immediate) family gives a shit about sports, so the 86 Mets gave the fam a chance to hob nob with the cousins, have massive amounts of people over our house to watch the game (men downstairs: wives upstairs!), and, afforded me the unique opportunity to be completely embarrassed when i got the flu during a family night game and threw up in front of my cousin Adam. A fond memory.

But as I got older, the 86 Mets got better: I learned about the 86 MESS. B/c as a kid, Daryl & Doc were just players who yelled and were fun to watch... but they were real MESSES! And HOT messes at that. I like teams that make it interesting: and they sure did. It was like Slapshot met baseball. Except no one was as hot as Paul Newman (although I kinda did like Gary Carter but he was sorta boring).

the Scum bunch and the airplane after party

So. Adios Shea. Ill remember you the way I want to. Drunk, high and raising hell. And beating the red sox. : )

PS.

WHY ISNT THE LETS GO METS GO SONG UP on youtube? WHY? You know...the one that stars "weve got the team work, to make the dream work...lets go (lets go mets go). Were gonna make it this time, were gonna take it home, lets gooo (lets go mets go)