Monday, August 4, 2008

Listenable 1980s dance music


*props to this kid for what i ASSUME is a blazing saddles reference.

Back when i used to go to decrepit second hand electronic stores to buy 50cent records, SAM, NIA and Mango records were always the risky purchases. Of every ten records from these labels, MAYBE one was good. And because I wouldnt dare embarrass myself by asking to hear a 50c 12" in a store that might just burn down if something else gets plugged in, I usually ended up lugging abut ten dollars/pounds worth of crap home. On the BUS. Then up a HILL. Only to be disappointed and stuck with a bunch of shiteous records. Eventually I stopped buying "those" records unless I heard em or knew em.

But now, the search is free and no hills/public transit are involved and so i can feel free to browse the catalogs of these mediocre labels without the associated pissed offedness that comes from the repeated dashing of ones hopes combined with change giving for stuff you will throw out later.

Here are some good songs from that era that I did or did not find under pizza boxes and old New York Posts. Which ones I own are a secret. Its a secret b/c its not many! Sigh.








Sorry. I couldnt resist. Besides being the ONLY good Eg. Lover song, its probably one of the few songs that still makes me blush and giggle like an idiot. Why? Dunno. Yes I do know actually. But I'm not telling. Please note: i heard this song BEFORE i saw what he looked like.