Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gripe: Lobster Disques/Dearth of Info/Mashups and Brine

I find it difficult to believe that in this day and age, I would not be able to find out ANYTHING about a band or a record label.

Sadly, its true.

Here is what I know so far: label. lots of cute little crustacean/sea creature joke titles. lots of edits of weird songs that actually sound good and are pretty much just re-worked as opposed to mashed up with other shit. An ELO cover that blew my socks off. Some dude named Secret Bob. A record called California Breaming. It should have been California Brining in my opin, but its good so who the hell cares.

Yes Im a sucker for a gimmick, when the gimmick is good. And i like their gimmick- im 100% down with the sea creatures. Throw an octopus ref in there and im ready to sell my home for a record. Plus the song choices dont seem "forced" ; like they do with mash-ups. Which makes me think that the Mashup may be on its way OUT and actually remixing a song will come back in. I will go to my DEATH hating the mash-up and all the earaches it brought with it. PU. Worst shit to happen to music since Jungle. Terrible. This isnt so much "mashed" as it is remixed in the truest sense of the term. In cooking, a stale mixture should be re-mixed. Mash it and it ends up a disgusting flat unpalatable mess.

Cooking metaphors. Love it. B+.

I would have given myself an A had i used a lobster metaphor or something to "tie it all in" but its early and im kinda tired.

Take a listen
Snip Snip, Oyster La Vista Baby