Monday, October 20, 2008

But Nature Played This Trick On Me.

Get your whatever those flowers were and stick em out of your back pocket and SING ALONG! Gladiolas? Was that them?



I guess given the cyclical nature of life, it would only be a matter of time before i started....ugh.... hold on. Swallowing hard here. Liking the smiths again. Yes, the smiths. I will admit it: i was one of those kids, except I liked Marr better than Moz. I never was obnoxious about it, but ugh, alone in my room...some serious lameness. SERIOUS LAMENESS. Not black lipstick/goth lameness, but kinda close. Belting out I wont share you (was it about Johnny?) and crying. Yodeling to Shakespeares Sister (or w/e thta song was). Dedicating unhappy birthday to someone on college radio. Having unhappy birthday dedicated to ME on college radio. (my comeback? Sick of you by GWAR! Eat me!)

Anyodosurungus, after college, you couldnt get me NEAR that band. My friends? oh, they got a little too near one or two of those guys for my tastes, which led to all sorts of information that made me like them even less as a band. Depressing. It all reminded me too much of England. Too much of college. Too much of the anglophiles i stayed with in college. Too much of college IN england. Too much of Tiswas. I even allowed my Mozdisgust to trickle onto Johnny Marr's side band, who i never checked out. Sorry Johnny. (Note: electronic did not suffer the same fate b/c its half new order and well, dont get me started on that band b/c we will be here for a while discussing their MERITS and how they are AWESOME).

But, maybe its the cold weather, or the tea ive been drinking, but im curious as to why, all the SUDDEN, I think this band is great again. Not great enough to suffer through a night of hipster hell to listen to the music tho. I did that in 95-98. Not doing it again and not sure why anyone would bother in the first place.

But, i digress. Moz and Marr were good. And maybe i just needed a rest. Momentary lapse of reason, or, earth shattering rediscovery of lost youth and fun albeit british times?


PS. Pretty Girls make graves was scribbled on letters/ on mix tapes i got from boys a lot back in like hs. Almost exclusively from straight edge boys. Ugh, you know, "put a smiths song on your tape to show you how "in touch with yourself" you are. I never thought a smiths song on a tape was evidence of anything other than just that: idiot introspection, but now thinking about it, said inclusion on these woo-tapes is disturbing for two reasons: either (a) said boys were too dumb to realize it was a song about being um, uh, not on her 'team', or, b) someone was trying to tell me something. Given the people in question, i am REALLY sure it was A.