Saturday, February 14, 2009

She died.

Blossom Dearie: London in the Rain


i belong to a record snob list that prefaced her death with "I know all you know this song...". Did you know? Are you cool for knowing?

I didnt know. In fact, I didnt even know who the hell this person was prior to said email. And while im sad that she died, this song kinda represents how i feel currently re: music and my own musical "journey" (read: the annoying crap i do and disgusting amount of time i spend looking for music i like).

Dont get me wrong, its a good song. Its pretty. I get it. And its old. I get that too. And in my own defense, Im sure i heard it out at the 9s at some point. However, its not thaaaaat good. It has its moments, sure. But it gets a few eye rolls in there from me. Id give it an 8. The only real attachment i have made to it is that i now realize how BAD a rip off st etienne was. DAMN Sarah! SHAME!

Anythatsucks, it seems i have approached what i deem "the second tier": that outer ring of artists on the "b" team. Those with one off songs that werent good enough to rank in the top; side bands (ugh really); one off concept records; prog rock etc. ad nausea. There are enough bands on the B team to spend your life listening to and being disappointed. I quit once before (ugh, the Flying Burrito Brothers) and Im feeling like a'quittin again. Its exhausting! Not to mention the associated snobbery that comes with knowledge of the B team.

ITS THE B TEAM! WHO CARES? Its the equivalent of knowing who the gaffers were in a movie! Ok, maybe that is C list. But STILL! Right? Why not sweat the A- team? I love that team. That was my team. Its a great team. Lets sweat them instead.

BD: Im HIP! YOU SURE ARE!


Note:
WHAT THE HELL? BD + DS?

BD just god a BIT cooler.